Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sperrmülltag

What is it?
Every 2-3 weeks (in some regions monthly), comes the day when the Germans are throwing out their old furniture. As it is quite bulky (hence the name Sperrmüll), it cannot be just put in the Gelber Sack ;) Try fitting a couch in a nylon garbage bag...

So, on this day, you can find all kinds of used furniture on the streets: sofas, chairs, cupboards, tables, you name it. 

Here is an example

What is it good for?
If you are a cash-strapped student, this is a good day for you to either make some money (by selling what you find to your fellow students) or to furnish your humble student room.

Don't worry about the furniture being dirty or too used: Germans usually throw their furniture when they decide to re-decorate their places. You can really find some good stuff on the street!

Don't get me wrong: I am not telling you to pick up crap from the streets, but if you look persistently enough for something you need on that particular day (and you are not ashamed to pick it up), there is a good chance to succeed.

Would you pick a good sofa from a street?

7 comments:

  1. Hi, great post! how do I find when those days are at concrete places? ie Munich? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog and the given information is very useful for me thanks for sharing.

    Buy Gold Coins In San Francisco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. I was recently writing about this in my own blog having found a perfectly good artificial Christmas tree by the bins. Possibly an unofficial version of Sperrmülltag
    My blog is on https://davidmurtagh.com/2021/01/06/free-stuff/ - I have added a link to your article too. Hope that's OK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and new initiatives in the same niche. Blog gave us useful information to work. You have done an amazing job! germany students

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am overwhelmed by your post with such a nice topic. Usually I visit your blogs and get updated through the information you include but today’s blog would be the most appreciable. Well done! germany students

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work Vivo Y51Sprice In Pakistan

    ReplyDelete