Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sundays

If you are living in a residential area like me, you have probably noticed that on Sundays there is not a single soul on the street. Where are all those Germans? I have no explanation for that... Where I come from, you can always see people on the streets, even on Sundays!
In my area, going on the street on Sundays is like going to the cemetery.

It is another topic that Sunday is an official work holiday, i.e. NOTHING (except cafes and restaurants) works on Sunday: no grocery store, no pharmacy, no retail store of any kind. This is also one of the things I will never understand. I am sure that there are people who would like to work on Sunday. The German economy loses billions every Sunday, but I guess currently it doesn't need additional growth.

Are you also pissed that nothing works on Sundays? Leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Yes I agree with you, I moved to Germany after living a long time in Czech Republic where I could only do my shopping on Sunday :-) and not to forget, Grab the urgent things at 11pm by visiting the 24 hours super market.

    Its like the Germans want us to do some exercise every Saturday - to go out of your house and rush for those last minute grocery shopping!

    Mini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that supermarkets are opened till late 6 days a week, there is no reason why one should wait till Sunday for shopping, besides shop assistants surely need a break as well.

      Delete
  2. I agree, it took a while to get used to it! If you work on weekdays, Saturday is the only option to do shopping and many stores are so busy then - so long lines and hard to park a car. If you could shop both days at weekend, then people don't have to hurry up so much on Saturdays.
    I understand shop assistants need a break too, but it means there must be more workers (and more people can have a job!), not that the current ones have to work more and do extra time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I like how everything closes on sunday. Gives you a break and time to do something at home or with your family. But since I grew up in Germany, it doesn't bother me...I'm just used to it :D.

    ReplyDelete