Thursday, March 15, 2012

Taxation without representation

Germany pretends that it wants to attract as many foreigners as possible. A couple of years ago it was even ranked in the top for countries chosen by foreign students. Furthermore, it opened its job market to Romanian and Bulgarian university students before the deadline established by the EU. This all points to the conclusion that the government is thinking how to attract qualified personnel to Germany.

Great!

But, they should also think about giving some rights to those long-term immigrants that do not want to give up their nationality or do not need to (EU citizens). I, for one, after living since 2005 in this country and having paid diligently my taxes since 2008, would like to have a say in who is governing Germany. Granted, I can vote in the local elections (for city mayor) because I am an EU citizen, but I would also like to determine the national policy with my vote. If you tax me, then let me choose the people who determine how high the taxes are! 

There must be, of course, some limitation to this: be it measured by years spent in Germany, be it by the amount of taxes paid, etc. But foreigners who contribute to the German economy should also be given the most basic of human rights: the right to elect their representatives!

What do you think? Would you vote if given the opportunity?


2 comments:

  1. If you would like an alternative to randomly approaching girls and trying to find out the right thing to say...

    If you'd rather have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy bars and restaurants...

    Then I urge you to watch this short video to learn a strong little secret that has the potential to get you your own harem of hot women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share with you all here on how I got my loan from Mr Benjamin who helped me with a loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i applied for the loan when things were getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin granted me loan without delay. Here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete